Monday, January 30, 2006

Technologies to change our world

One of the things that I enjoy doing is guessing what technical advances will change the way we live in the future. I am fascinated by change and always find it quite remarkable how rapidly a change is accepted, especially by an unsuspecting society. I am not into predictions and I don't claim to have insight that others do not have, but I do try to keep up to date and I have read a bit about scientific progress. So here goes, these are my top ten "predictions" for the next 50 years. These technologies are all already with us. They have all been demonstrated to some extent already, but the question is whether they can be developed into useful technologies that have a serious impact on how we live.

1. Power generation from fusion
2. Nanotechnology
3. Human genetic engineering
4. The use of genetically modified crops
5. Space tourism
6. Communication by means of quantum entanglement
7. Artificial intelligence
8. Quantum computing
9. Brain-computer interfacing
10. Space exploration

These were all science fiction ideas until recently. In fact many would claim they still are. Let know what you think.

1 comment:

CraniumJack said...

If you've hung your doolies out with this top 10 list then you should do yourself a favour and get Reality Check from Hardwired publishing. Although the book was published in 1996 (and can be considered outdated) it's still an entertaining read - much like Sci-fi. The predictions are just that. Predictions. But the book reads closely as a barometer of trends in an ever changing technological society - something close to your heart. Part hype, part fantasy, the truth lies somewhere between, it is up to the reader to predict after listening to the "experts." Myself? I'm waiting for the self cleaning toilet coming this year but I don't think I'll be here for the virtual sex slave coming in 2055. If I am i might need a pace maker. hehe.